About Us and Our Mission
The Charles Wesley Turnbull Regional Public Library has been OPEN to serve adults and children since July of 2013. Operating hours are from 9:00 a.m-5:00 p.m. The Charles W. Turnbull Regional Public Library is located at the northern end of the Tutu Park Mall. Public access to the library is through the gated driveway entrance at the northeast corner of the Plaza Extra parking lot. A ceremonial groundbreaking was held in September 2006, but no work began until 2009. The building was completed in 2013. St. Thomas-based Balbo Construction was the selected successful bidder for the approximately $22 million library project with Jaredian Design Group as the architect.
On June 17, 2013, DPNR- Division of Libraries, Archives, and Museums launched a "soft opening" of the public library on a limited basis. A grand opening is being planned in the near future.
- Provide access to and preserve Virgin Islands culture and literary heritage.
- Expand Library services to bring information and resources to the Virgin Islands libraries and into the offices and homes of users through greater use of technology and electronic sources.
- Enhance the quality of life of Virgin Islands citizens by increasing awareness and usage of the vast array of available resources in Virgin Islands libraries, thus fostering economic growth, educational opportunities, and avenues of prosperity.
- Foster the ongoing professional development of library staff throughout the territory, enabling them to be well informed and competent to provide superior library services to patrons.
- The Library will identify and serve the needs of special populations.
- The Library will remain an energetic and relevant organization through continual improvement and ongoing dialog with its users.
- Continue to improve records management processes, and to increase records management and archives awareness by implementing government-wide records management liaisons; provide information and training for archival storage, care and records management; and work with designated agency liaisons in the training and education of archival storage, records management and emergency preparedness.